Austin, TX bomber DEAD after detonating bomb inside a car

Overnight, authorities moved in on the serial bomber that has terrorized the Austin, TX area for the last 18 days.  According to a Fox News article,

The suspected serial bomber who killed two people and terrorized Austin, Texas, for three harrowing weeks was killed in a dramatic confrontation with police overnight Wednesday, according to authorities.

The suspect, identified by police early Wednesday as a 24-year old male, was killed near the motel he was traced to by authorities using surveillance footage from a Federal Express drop-off store and cell phone triangulation technology, according to The Austin American-Statesman.

bomber dead

The man died after fleeing the motel in a car, with police hot on his tail. He drove into a ditch, sparking the fatal confrontation.

“We wanted this to come to a peaceful resolution tonight,” said Austin Police Chief Brian Manley. “However, we were not afforded that opportunity when he started to drive away.”

Police said the man detonated two package bombs as police closed in, firing at him. It was not immediately clear whether he died from the bombs or shots fired by police. One officer was knocked back by the blasts, but none were seriously hurt.

The incident appears to have brought to an end a terrifying sequence that began March 2, when Anthony Steven House, 39, was killed when a package he discovered on his porch in northeast Austin exploded.

austin statesman - bomber dead


The Austin, TX area has been in a state of frenzy for the last 24-36 hours.  Not only was there an explosion at a FedEx facility, but there was talk of another unexploded package too.  Our last blog about the bombings will catch you up on all of that.

Then, late last night, there was a press conference about the latest developments on the Austin, TX bombings, due to another bombing at a Goodwill store located at Brodie Lane/W. Slaughter Lane. There were conflicting accounts, as the ATC-EMS (Austin-Travis County EMS) immediately stated that the incendiary device was related to all of the other recent bombings.

police tweet

But then, the ATF came out with their own tweets, stating that it was NOT related to the other bombings.


(and then while we were all trying to figure out what the heck was going on, there were reports of a vehicle on fire at the same area!)  Total chaos!

vehicle fire

THANK GOODNESS that this whole situation appears to be at an end!  Given all of the erratic behavior of the bomber, and all of the mayhem, this could have been a disastrous event instead of a contained explosion that led to suicide by the bomber.

While we do not know yet if there are additional bombs waiting to be detonated, we DO know that the person behind the bombings, is DEAD!!!  (Phew!)



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s